Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A few rotten apples do kind of ruin the bunch!

I posted a question yesterday in a multiples support group asking if anyone ever hired a night nurse or other kind of help.  I didn't feel the need to give any context to my post: 6 kids under 4, no family in town, husband works shift, etc.  I just kind of naturally assumed that a group of moms of multiples would understand this kind of question.  The first response was "Ha! No."  Ouch, that one kind of hurt a bit, especially because I don't personally know any moms.  Was this an "I wish" or "I would never dream of doing such a thing?"  And then a few posts later another mom commented something like: "I would never and could never.  The bonding at night is just too important."  Call it hormones, call it over sensitive, call it whatever you want, I started to cry.  Now I felt like I needed to defend myself.  Now my parenting of my 3 children who had not yet arrived was already being called into question.  Another mom said, "family can come and help.  my mom came for 6 weeks."  That's great, family is wonderful.  Not every family has the schedule to just leave a full-time job, and sometimes family members are ill.  There were supportive comments throughout this thread, but isn't always the ones that seem ambiguous or a bit judgmental that leave the biggest impression.  I began explaining my situation and some people "took back" what they had said earlier.  Perhaps some of those things shouldn't have been said in the first place.  Does a mom really have to give her whole history every time she asks a question?

Then I started thinking about all the other things I may likely do when the triplets arrive that I have seen so many people say "I would never,"  "What kind of mother does..."  And I thought, well shit, as if parenting isn't hard enough, now I'm adding very special circumstances into the mix, and those circumstances may require me to change how and what I have done as a mother to date. They aren't things that make me any better or worse.  They were just my preference for my kids.   I might use formula.  I might use these things  to help feed my babies.  Guess what, my babies might cry.  I may not wear them enough to your liking.  They may spend more time in a swing than you would prefer.  I may stick a pacifier in their mouth.  Or perhaps drive a car without a tether.  All of these things don't really define us as mothers, they don't determine who gets mother of the year and who is an epic failure.  Every mother, I believe, is just trying to do her best.  Sometimes a mother's best is not screaming, or going on a field trip, or reading a stack of books, or simply getting out of bed.

I just ask that if your opinions don't align with mine it might be best to hide my feed on facebook, stop reading my blog, or just unfriend me altogether.  Honestly, I can't even believe I writing a post like this, but I have a feeling it is going to get hard.  When I was preparing for my VBAC and my HBAC I fought to protect my "space" from outside negativity and opinions.  Moms and women, for whatever reason, can't seem to let each other catch a break.  We can't seem to just support and encourage, it doesn't mean we have to agree.  I will end this post with one of my most favorite blog posts, I think she said it much more eloquently than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment