Thursday, February 28, 2013

Magnesium and the Farmer's Market

Its been since Monday afternoon that I have been taking my new vitamins, kicked refined sugar to the curb, and made a change in gluten consumption.  I feel a difference already in my energy level.  My friend asked me yesterday if I thought the magnesium worked that well and fast.  I think it has more to do with what my body has been lacking and so desperately needed that has allowed me to feel a difference so rapidly. 

Monday I replaced our regular oats with GF ones. Can't even tell the difference.  And in the spirit of change I have been trying out new GF/paleo-esque recipes.  For a late night snack I made choco-almond butter oatmeal. Rather than chocolate I used carob.  Yesterday I made us snickerdoodle oatmeal.  The ingredients include: vanilla, cinnamon, raw sugar (although I didn't put nearly the required amount it), and milk.  The girls devoured it.  Another morning I made banana and egg pancakes, yum!  Tastes like eggy banana bread. Even Taylor liked it.  Oh, and I mentioned I would be consuming more kale in my last post.  Every morning I make us a kale, unsweetened appleauce, blueberry smoothie.  Yesterday, per turena and melissa's recommendations I finally got around to make kale chips.  Easy and delicious!  Lucy couldn't get enough!  Since I was in the veggie zone I roasted up some cabbage wedges in some coconut oil, salt and pepper.  The slightly burned edges made then scrumptious!  In fact, Taylor's whole dinner yesterday was the cabbage and kale!

When my oldest sister was in town 2 weeks ago she made really good meals.  Her "secret" ingredients, if you can call it that, were salt and pepper.  I often get caught up in all my different fun spices that I forget about how deliciously simple salt and pepper are.  If I am wanting to up our veggie intake so I can reduce processed foods then it will help to find yummy and different ways to prep that are easy and kid friendly.  The way I've been doing veggies has me longing for more and on most things the girls too.

Last week during a chat with moms about food choices and obstacles I was a little envious of the moms who could afford the Farmer's market.  I like to buy local and knowing who grows the food is helpful too.  A mom who was present during that chat did a price comparison between the farmer's market and walmart.  Turns out there was a $2 difference between bills.  I can get behind spending a whopping $2 more to shop local!  Since we have our farmer's market 3 times a week there really isn't an excuse.  It provides an outing for the girls.  It is possible to eat healthy and local without going in debt.  And honestly, I can only spend so much at the market but the spending opportunities at the big box stores are endless.  Just seems to make sense, dollars and cents.

I am so encouraged that my new diet change, desire to make changes for my family is possible and affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment